Monday, October 31, 2011

Rockets, and Tel Aviv


So I’m writing this on my computer. No internet access. Correction: I have sort of an internet connection that keeps kicking me off. BAH. Internet in Israel is such a mess. Or at least in Lakiya.  Partly due to the rockets.

Yes. I said rockets. Sadly the few months of peace and the slightly raised hopes after Gilad Shalit are now kaput.  Groups from Gaza (not Hamas) are sending rockets into Israel. Schools were closed yesterday/optional today for those in south (and lucky enough to be closer to the rocket fire). Otherwise, life goes on. Yes, two people are dead and a few are injured, but this is a part of life in Israel. 

Yes, I was freaked out when I heard a rocket. I’ve only heard one, this evening. I know this doesn’t make you feel better. But, it’s still more dangerous to get into a car in Israel (or America) than any rocket fire. I still get into a car every day. And perhaps I won’t sleep perfectly tonight, but I will sleep. Call me crazy or someone who thinks she’s immortal. But I know I’m mortal, I understand the risks. I make my choice to be here.  You don’t have to like it, but you have to respect it. 

So this past weekend:

I finally visited very distant relatives (cousins of my great aunt’s husband kind of distant). They live in a town north of Tel Aviv).  I got in Friday mid-morning, and wandered around Tel Aviv. Note: don’t carry your laptop with you: it’s just dead weight. And boy was it dead weight, my neck still hurts from carrying it. I saw a lot of the residential area of Tel Aviv by the university. Plus a gorgeous park next to a river. Ruth and Kuti picked me up around 430

About Ruth and Kuti: they are lovely people. Kuti was injured during a bomb accident during his time in the Army. I don’t think it was during the war, but he was in the army around 1967. He lost his hands, his vision is impaired, and has trouble hearing. Still he’s brilliant and studies West Africa, specifically Liberia. He was fascinating to talk to.

Ruth, his wife, was a nurse. She’s lovely, and helps Kuti immensely from simple hospital procedures, to daily tasks. I enjoyed spending time with her. She explained a lot to me about Tel Aviv, Israel, and her life and experiences. She was a lovely hostess, and I hope to spend more time with  them while I am in Israel!

For Shabbat, all their kids and grandkids came over for dinner. They’re older than me: the youngest is 30. Everyone was really nice, and spoke English! One was a head hunter for Google, and others were corporate analyst. It was great meeting them.  My mother would have loved the youngest grandchild: she loved shoes and wanted to try on everyone’s shoes. It was adorable. 

The next day I went with Ruth to the Tel Aviv Boardwalk. Turns out things are open on Shabbat in Tel Aviv. Went shopping, and found some froyo! Tons of families were out, and lots of dogs. It was great to see the ocean and get a feel for what people in Tel Aviv do. That evening, we went to a protest in Rabin Square. Israelis are protesting the high cost of living, taxes, and low wages. They want more social services from the government. Protests have been happening all summer. Tons of people came out, filling the square. We left early (well, Ruth and Kuti aren’t the youngest people), and people were still streaming in. 

Sunday: I woke up and Ruth told me about the rockets. I found out that classes were canceled, but all public transport was working. So I went into Tel Aviv, hoping to take a bus to explore Tel Aviv. However, I thought it would go at 12, but it didn’t go til 1. So I got the bright idea to wander on foot towards the train station. Stupid idea. I got lost, and wandered for awhile, not really seeing anything. Eventually, I accidentally stumbled upon the train station! I just took the train home early. Next time, I’m taking the damn tourist bus to see the city. 

Fun fact: at a major mall in Be’er Sheva there is free wifi, which I used to skype my parents. Even if they couldn’t see me. It was fun, and strange to be chatting into my computer in a food court. But w/e. It looks like I’ll be doing that more to keep up with people. 

I should write about my host family. But this post is getting super long. So next time. I’ll let you know where I’m getting the internet (lol new game: guess where Katie is getting online???) 

Much Love,
KAS

No comments:

Post a Comment