Friday, October 21, 2011

Meeting people and public transportation

Exciting news: I took the bus for the first time! Yes, I now can get in and out of Lakiya on my own! So there's this great website called Couch Surfing, that connects travelers from all over the world. I used it last year when I traveled to Italy with a friend and we met some amazing people and got a few places to stay for free/the cost of making chocolate chip cookies (that's a whole other story).

So, since I don't know many people/what to do in Beer Sheva, I posted a message to some people in Beer Sheva, asking to hang out/have some help exploring the city. One guy replied and we met up today. So, I took the bus into the bus center, at the edge of the old city.  I was super nervous because I haven't ever taken a public bus before by myself. I got to the bus stop, and got on the bus fine. I had some issues getting off, but I ended up exactly where I wanted. On the way back I had a miscommunication with the bus driver about money. I didn't have exact change and only large bills. luckily, it all worked out and I made it back to Lakiya! I'm sure I'll make more mistakes, but I CAN DO IT! and that's the important part.

So I met up with Shay, the guy I contacted online, and we got coffee and then wandered around the old city. Old City for Beersheva is the city that began with the turks at the turn of the20th century. It was the desert outpost. Unfortunately, on Fridays, things close super early. So we saw the Friday market, went into a small art museum, and saw the old train station. It was just nice to get out, and talk in English for awhile. It was exactly what I needed.

So that was my day. Tomorrow me and Riham, are going to hopefully watch Amelie. Most things are closed, so tomorrow will be a hang in Lakiya day.  But after getting out and about today, I think it will be nice to be here.

Much love,
KAS

2 comments:

  1. Katie: You are an adventurer! The mom worries ....did your host family know with whom you were meeting? did you have your cell phone with you? I hope that you were taking these Mom worries into consideration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my cell phone with me. They knew where I was going as well.

    ReplyDelete