Friday, September 23, 2011

Culture shock take two!

 this is in response to apple to zipper. It was getting long. so i'm posting it here

I don't think its the land. Actually when i visited years ago, people told me it would feel like coming home. frankly i thought it was a bunch of malarky. and then i got here...and it did. There's just something in this land, more than beauty, it resonates with something inside me. Like it's my magnetic opposite.

Culture shock is the hardest part of travelling for me.But sometimes the shock as hard and as disconcerting as it may be, is good for me. It reminds me again to rely on my friends. It forces me outside my comfort zone and pushes me to be a bigger person. I gain a different perspective on issues of all kinds, from political, to preparing food. I know I won't be the same when I come home, and I think I needed this, to really make decisions about what I want to do next (grad schools, careers, etc).

In the end, cultural adjustments are hard, but it's like running, you know as you huff and puff that the end it will be worthwhile. Accept it, and life gets easier. You just need patience.

But here's a list of some of my favorite things  that are different. Note: this is my experience in one bedouin town and should not represent all Bedouins or the Jewish Israeli society. I don't want to give too broad of assumptions.
  • the emphasis on family. i think it's amazing how everyone lives nearby, and it's very tight-nit. It gives a special resonance to the community. Its more than just friendliness, its blood.
  • the pace of life. it's slower, people take time to have conversations, tea, or pick people up and drive them to work. Even if it's only 10 minutes, these pauses show how important social ties and community is. Its both affirming of wonderful values and very relaxing.
  • the hospitality. People are so friendly and welcoming, even if they can't understand my mediocre Arabic. I can't tell you how many conversations i've had where i understood about 20% of what someone was saying. And yet they don't seem to mind. Also, I can't say how thankful I am for my host family. They are so nice, welcoming, accommodating, and overall making my transition much easier. 
Other things will come in time. I might start putting up lists of funny things that happen here just to give flavor on the odd days. Thanks for the question A to Z. If you have anymore, feel free to ask. I may not make a whole post to it, but I'll try and respond.

Much love as always,
Katie

2 comments:

  1. You know that this is AJ, right? Get it...cause my full name goes from A to Z?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I did know, I just wasn't sure how much privacy you wanted out here in the Internet :)

    ReplyDelete