Sunday, September 25, 2011

Cell Phones, Israeli Money, and other interesting odds and ends

Exciting news of the day: I have a cell phone! It's pretty basic, but it has a sim card, and it's pay as you go. I was also able to pull out some money from an ATM (fun fact, banks close at like 2-3 in Israel. But now you can call me and it won't cost me a thing (although it will probs cost you... )

my number : 011+ 972+054-3127176 (i think). now in case the internet ends and you worry for my safety (*cough* mom *cough*) you can find me. Although who knows if cell phones will get service. My mom needs something to worry about! Hehe love you.

Other news: i will become the wandering/migrant American in Lakiya. turns out i will be living in different places each month. Soon i will start spending time with someone named Huda. She works part time for Sidreh and also studies at Ben Gurion University, the university of Beersheba. I will stay there a couple nights a week, and help Huda with her English. To be honest, I'm a bit nervous about the moving around, but it will be nice to meet more people and get a more complete idea of life amongst the Bedouin. I'll let you know how that goes.

Humorous notes/differences:

-When people first see me in Lakiya, they assume I'm Israeli. Thus I hear a lot of Shalom and other words I don't understand. Then I pull out my only hebrew phrase: Hi, I don't speak hebrew. 

-Oh the differences in taste. We had pizza last night, with olives, corn, and zatar (an israeli herb that's used on everything)

- Asaan, the eldest son, hurt his arm/wrist (?). His grandmother gave him a traditional remedy: she broke an egg over his injury and wrapped the egg with cloth. Assan must leave it like that overnight to help it heal. Interesting tradition, but really really smelly.

- Students take a test before College called the psychometric. Riham, their eldest daughter, is going to take it in December (side note: they have it one day every season, and in December its on the 25th. Sucks to be Christian I guess). I was helping her practice,and it was ridiculously hard English sentences. They include things on nuclear disarmament,  and electromagnetic rays. I am utterly ashamed at our attempts to teach foreign languages in the states

- you need to have your passport to go into a college. I went onto the Ben Gurion campus (major university of the south) to go to the ATM (see above on banks). The security guy reprimanded me. But they let me through. I had the I'm a confused american look. it helps.

-to all the ladies: don't go into Negliahs: even if men ask you to have a drink, don't do it. Negilahs are the Muslim equivalent of bars: they go to smoke, have a drink (no alcohol because everyone's Muslim). I walked past it the other day unknowingly. Men came out and tried to talk to me. First in Hebrew, then in the local dialect, then in english/MSA. Basically. Here's what happened

Men: Hi, how are you?
Me: I am good how are you?
Men: What is your name?
Me: My name is Katie? What are yours?
Men: *Jumble of names I can't remember* You want to come in and have drink?
Me: No thank you
Men:  Come! Come!
Me: (in arabic) Thank you very much, but not today. *I leave*

Found out later from my host family that was a smart move. Women don't go into the Negilah. It would have gotten awkward reaaaal quick if I had said yes. Plus a large group of men, one woman... I know its a bit irrational, but i'm in a foreign country. I'm not going into a lion's den.

That's the latest from Lakiya. Exciting news: I am going with an acquaintance to Rosh Hashannah dinner! Fun fact: I haven't actually met her face to face yet. All has been through the wonders of the Internet. Things I'm looking forward to for that evening:
meeting Lauren
speaking English and french.
a pool
3 dogs
meeting Israelis
A night out of Lakiya

More on that later. For now. this old lady has to go to bed.
Lilah Tov!
KAS


1 comment:

  1. Good Morning Katie! Thinking of you today as you start week 2. Big hugs, Kim

    ReplyDelete