Friday, September 16, 2011

And it Begins....

So I'm sitting in the airport, and I figure this blog should begin now. Logistically, it makes sense because I finally have a few hours before I get on a plane. At the same time, I want to have one entry before I get there. When there's so much promise and so much uncertainty.

Don't get me wrong: I'm really excited. I have wanted to work for an NGO in the Middle East since junior year, and I'm doing it! I get paid (since I have years of homework and internships and no money the idea that someone is paying me is pretty sweet). The organization Sidreh is awesome. They focus on economic development for Bedouin Women ( www.lakiya.org). I get to bridge the gap between English speaking visitors and Arabic speaking Lakiya.

At the same time, I'm going to live in a foreign country for at least six months. It's a big investment of time. And there's a lot I'm not sure about. I don't know if my clothes are modest enough (How much of my scoopy shirt is too much?). Am I taking too much stuff? Will my modern standard arabic be enough to learn palestinian colloquial? Will it be culturally ok to run outside? Will the community like me? As you can see, I'm terrified of messing something up. And not being there, makes all the questions just build up, and up.

As I write this, I know I will mess something up. Whether it is in learning Arabic, or in my work for Sidreh, something will go wrong. What really matters is knowing that it's going to be okay. And it will. I will do my best, and that is enough.

Right now that just means to watch all of my luggage (next life goal: reduce ridiculous amount of stuff I have) and just make my next flight. I have 22 hours of transit, and that's just to Tel Aviv. Not sure when I'll get a chance to blog again, but I'm sure I will have a few more exciting stories to tell :)

m'aah salameh (go with peace)
KAS

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl, it's AJ! Love the blog so far - both the thoughtfulness of your first entry and the background you've chosen. Very nice!

    Good luck on your adventure, and I look forward to seeing your future updates!

    ReplyDelete