Friday, September 30, 2011

Rosh Hashanah: A tale of many courses

L'Shanah Tovah! I hope that everyone had a wonderful Rosh Hashanah/ is getting ready for Yom Kippur. Can't believe how a year has gone by. Certainly didn't think I would be in Israel celebrating the holiday.

For those who don't know, being Jewish is very different in Israel. Zionism and the emphasis on living in Israel. By living in Israel, Zionism believes that's enough. That our connection to the land is what matters. So, on the one hand, you have secular Jews. They don't go to services, don't fast on Yom Kippur, etc.

On the other hand are the Haredim, the very religious. They tend to live in separate communities, they have their own super strict Kosher regulations, and don't do anything on Shabbat (except maybe read, services, and go for walks). Basically, they follow all of the rabbinic decisions through the centuries. It's a very different community.

So, being a progressive Jew, is mostly an anomaly here. There are Reform synagogues, but they tend to be on the coast or in larger cities such as Tel Aviv and Haifa. None seem to be around Beersheba, and I don't have the transportation to take myself to those cities/wanted to go by myself. So my options were
- Secular dinner with a Jewish family
- try and find conservative/orthodox services

I chose the secular path:  I went with an acquaintance, Lauren, with her and her boyfriend to her boyfriend's parent's place 40 minutes north west of me in Moshav Nir Moshe. They have a beautiful house in a small neighborhood surrounded by fields. We got there around 4 pm, as everyone was getting up from their afternoon naps/getting ready for dinner. We ended up chatting, and having some tea. Eventually, I met the whole family: Roi's parents, two sisters, and the three dogs. Everyone was welcoming, although it was hard with the language blocks (this time Hebrew). Lauren was sweet, and helped translate me the gist of the conversation so I at least knew what was going on. I appreciated that immensely.

Dinner was intense. We had a huge mean including

-symbolic foods for new year (apples and honey, challah, and mostly different candies with plays on Hebrew)
-salad course with 5-6 different types of salad and salmon
-Matzah ball and chicken soup with carrots, artichokes and onions
- Chicket, Roast Beef, and Potatoes
- Tea, Coffee, and coffee cake
needless to say... I was really full after that.

That evening I stayed at their place, falling asleep to BBC TV. The next day, we mostly sat around, read, watched tv. They have an amazing cereal here like chex cereal except stuffed with chocolate on the inside. We had lunch, all left overs from the night before (with enough for all 8 of us to eat that 3 more times). Lauren and Roi dropped me off back at Laqiya that evening.

It reminded me of Thanksgiving, family, food, and conversation. I think that's what I miss most is being able to participate in conversations. Who knew a jewish girl loved to talk? Still, Roi and Lauren were wonderful and I enjoyed speaking a bit of French with Roi's mother: she was born in Paris and moved to Israel years ago.

Right now, just enjoying my long weekend that started with Rosh Hashannah. Going to start looking into hebrew classes/taking a class at Ben Gurion University in English. I'll let you know how that goes.

Much love,
KAS

1 comment:

  1. Thinking of you - so glad you've found nice friends to take you with you for the holiday, and good for you for accepting their offer. Sounds like you're absorbing every opportunity to meet people, learn and acclimate. So proud of you! I know that Bill Fanjoy would love to follow your blog - may I send him the link?? Big hugs, Kim

    ReplyDelete