Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A beautiful moment

No picture could do the moment justice.

West of Lakiya are these beautiful hills with dirt tracks for cars/perfect for walking. After losing a few hours to the internet, I went for a walk in the hills. The sun was setting, and the world was a series of browns, oranges, pinks, purples, and dusty purples. I enjoyed the silence and a chance to be in nature, alone.

As the sun was setting, I returned back to the house. On my way, the call to prayer happened. With five mosques in Lakiya, they each have a muezzin, or someone that calls people to prayer. It sounded like a weaving of voices, natural rising together to become one large piece unintentionally.

As I arrived back at Khadra's I found the back door to the salon locked. I was about to knock when in the dim light of dusk I saw Khadra there, praying. Initially, I wanted only to be respectful and let her pray in peace. As I watched, I found her movements beautiful. Stand up, kneel, bow. Stand, kneel and bow. She wasn't praying with just her heart and mind, but also her whole body. The rhythms reminded me of dance, and at that instant I wondered what it would look like in Mecca during the Hajj with MILLIONS of Muslims simultaneously praying like that.

While I didn't want it to end, Riham saw me and opened the door. I was kind of creepy standing in the door way, not doing anything/hard to see in the darkness. But I'm grateful for that moment.

What moment took your breathe away today?
Much love,
KAS

No comments:

Post a Comment