Tuesday, November 29, 2011

You Can't Always Get What You Want But You Get What You Need

So.... lemme summarize my amazing week.


My family was in town! Well, and by family: my mom, dad, and brother. They came in last Saturday, during the day. I had to work at the Holiday Bazaar a bit north of Tel Aviv, so it made it very easy for me to go to the hotel and meet them. Mother was ecstatic that I carefully planned to have her be the first one to see me (yes... I totally planned that Dad would be parking the car).

So what we did: traveled all. over. Israel. We did one day where we went from the south to the north. Luckily, Israel is small, but we spent a lot of time in the car. We had a great tour guide named Rafi, who was always willing to answer my billion and half questions. Plus, he would carry mom's purse. So I think it was a win for her too.

I could go into depth about Tel Aviv, Beit Shemesh, the Dead Sea, Massada, Golan etc. But, frankly there's too much details, and there's photos (look here for all the photos). And talk to me personally if you want to know about it. But basically: I was just happy to spend time with my family. It had been ages since I had seen them, and missed them. Family, as family should, let me feel safe, comfortable, and unself-conscious of my actions, a rare break when being abroad.

It wasn't always smiles and rainbows: we fought, they drove me crazy, and I'm sure it was mutual. I love my family: I don't always LIKE them. Still: I was surprised that I was holding back tears (not so successfully) when they left. Frankly, once they dropped me off at the train station it got easier. I no longer felt like crying, but I'm still kind of down from it. But as one of my posters says: all emotions are beautiful. And it just reminds me that no matter where I go, there's always a part of me in Fairfax Station, VA. I'm so grateful that they came at all: it was the best Thanksgiving/Channukah/Christmas present.

It drives my mother crazy, but I don't really like presents, gifts especially around this time. Because I don't need/want much. Experiences to me are far more meaningful. Studies show that experiences create more happiness over the long term because of memory. I agree wholeheartedly, and would rather spend time with people over (most) any present. There's always exceptions :-P

So now? working on all the paperwork for both 1) My work visa and 2) my application for the Peace Corps. Last night: I ran around Tel Aviv for fingerprints. Just so you know: taxi drivers can be assholes. So much money lost.... oh well. it's done, and i can send the paperwork. Now I have to
1) make an appt with the Israeli Ministry of Interior
2) get all my proper docs in order
3)FAX (who the hell FAXES anymore??). for an appt.
4) finally go to the bureau (hopefully) in Be'er Sheva.

Ugh. I hate details. Drives me crazy. Remind me never to be a boring paper pusher. It would be my version of office space. Then again, being here, and doing what I do, I don't feel like an adult. I still feel like...a kid.

Does that ever change? Even if I got an office job, an apt, and had a 9-5 routine with taxes and everything: would I feel like an adult? Or would I feel like I'm playing dress up? In Israel 22 year olds know how to shoot guns, or if you're Bedouin, probably married. They have fully embraced the mantle.

I have always been serious/mature, but what does it MEAN to be an adult? Because all of those things just change your relationship to things/other people. Does it change who you are? Perhaps I'll write more about this in another post. But I have a feeling most other just graduated Americans feel similar. Even with desk jobs, apartments, and taxes.

On the bright side: for all of this stuff I got to stay in Re'anana, a town near Tel Aviv, for a few days and sort of recover from my week with my parents. I have a new charger (!!!) and my computer is working so much better because of it (that will be a nice bday present to myself when i go home:  A NEW COMPUTER!).

So: life is getting back to normal (whatever that is). And I head back to Lakiya today. To the crazy whirlwind of life. 

Much love,
KAS

No comments:

Post a Comment